Michigan Workmans Comp
Michigan Workers Comp - Compensation Law and Attorneys

Michigan workmans comp is administered by the Michigan Department of Labor & Economic Growth Workers Compensation Agency. Their staff works to assist workers injured on the job as well as employers that have claims from employees. The benefit system provides protection for both employees and employers. Employees are eligible for compensation for workplace accidents and employers know that the financial payments are limited and therefore have a controlled risk regarding workplace injuries.

Benefits in Michigan are paid for by employers either through paying for coverage through a commercial insurance carrier, or by purchasing self-insured coverage. There is not a workers' compensation fund and employers must not deduct any fees from employees paychecks for workers comp.

If you have been injured on the job in Michigan, you should seek medical care and notify your supervisor and employer as soon as possible. During the first ten days following the incident, your employer may direct you to a specific physician for treatment. Following those ten days, a worker may select their own physician and must provide their employer with that physician's name.

As soon as your employer has knowledge of the incident, they must submit an “Employers Basic Report of Injury” (form 100) to the compensation agency and notify their insurance carrier. They must also provide the name and address for their insurance carrier for use during billing from medical facilities. In the event that your employer will not submit a report of the injury, you may contact the Workers Compensation Agency for assistance at 1-888-396-5041.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How will I receive my benefits? - Eligible workers must be out of work for at least one week to receive benefit payments for wage losses. These payments will be made directly to the injured employee from the employer's insurance company or the employer if they are self-insured. Benefit compensation for medical care is generally paid directly to the provider from the employer or the employer's insurance company

  • How much money is paid for wage losses? - The typical amount is set to 80% of the net amount of the workers wage loss. Payments are 80% of the after-tax amount a worker has averaged for weekly wages during the highest 39 weeks during the 52 week period prior to the injury. The amount is capped at a maximum equal to 90% of the state average weekly wage. In 2008, the max rate was $739 per week

  • What if my claim is denied? - The majority of cases are accepted and paid for without issues. If your case has been disputed by the insurance company or your employer, you have the right to submit a claim to the Commission. Your case will be assigned to a mediator

  • Can I receive unemployment and workers comp benefits? - You may not receive full workers comp benefits as well as unemployment benefits from the same employer
Workers injured on the job in Michigan may be eligible for vocational rehab to assist them in returning to work. If your ability to perfom the job you held prior to a workplace accident has been compromised, vocational rehabilitation is designed to help you return to the workforce. Counselors can help you establish a plan which may include retraining, job placement assistance, or support for starting your own business.

Share |

Workers comp in Michigan is administered by:
Department of Energy, Labor & Economic Growth
Workers’ Compensation Agency
P.O. Box 30016
Lansing, MI 48909
Toll Free (888) 396-5041

Find out about workers comp codes

Get workers comp forms

Learn more about what is workers comp

Go from Michigan Workmans Comp to Workers Comp Settlements and Laws